Tuesday 12 July 2011

Curved Cross Hatching to create a Circular Effect

This exquisite quilt was made by Elaine.  Elaine does the most beautiful appliqué and embroidery, and it is always a pleasure to quilt for her.  To see Elaine’s butterfly quilt click here.

The quilting really evolved on this quilt while it was on the machine.  I always knew that I would do the curved cross hatching at the sides, but once the main lines were done, and the quilt stabilised, I then came up with the concept of how I wanted to do the feathers.

I love how the curved cross hatching has created a circular effect around the centre appliqué panel, and this was exactly the effect I was aiming for. 





Elaine chose a plain fabric on the back which is perfect for showing up the quilting beautifully.


Pop over to Esther's Blog to see what other people are working on with her WIP Wednesdays.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I am very envious of your talent. Thank you for sharing it with us. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desley, you just crank out beautiful masterpiece after masterpiece. :D The curved crosshatching really did make a wonderful framing for the central motifs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt and the quilting are gorgeous. I hope that I can become an awesome quilter like you someday. Thanks for sharing, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. I bought those cross hatch rulers, but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I know my time is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilting and quilt. I honestly don't know how you come up with all these wonderful designs. No wonders you dream of quilting in your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular! As always! I don't know how you do this kind of work over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning!!! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Desley, your creativity, and quilting know no boundaries!! You really do some WOW work, not just on the odd occasion, but everytime. Thankyou again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Desley, another quilting master-piece...beautiful!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting, it's a pleasure just a to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a beautiful quilt - great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work. You just inspired me to go home and quilt:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilting. I always try to imagine the quilting when I do my appliqué but your beautiful work leaves me in AWE!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! You're work is just so beautiful and inspiring. I love how you've also gone through your design process with us in another post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilting adds such a sense of movement to the lovely applique pansies. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete