Tuesday 21 June 2011

Abbeville County

This gorgeous quilt belongs to Beryl.  It is Michelle Yeo’s  ‘Abbeville Country’ pattern. 

Beryl asked me to quilt it with traditional quilting and she said that she liked feathers.  As the background fabric would show up the quilting the most, this is where I concentrated the most detailed quilting.




I used my curved cross hatching rulers to create the quilting at the corners of the blocks, which mirrored the shape of the piecing – these are very handy rulers, useful for more than just curved cross hatching.  I brought the feathers around the piecing to emphasise the design.




I have quilted a number of this design over the years - I wish I had taken more photos in the past.  I am much better at remembering to pull out the camera now that I am blogging.

Here are a couple of photos I found of Barb’s and Joan’s quilts.



16 comments:

  1. This quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love how it is quilted.
    Renee
    www.reneescountryquilts.blogspot.com
    Savannah, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really beautiful quilt pattern-the quilting is spot-on, as usual! Fun to see the different versions of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this pattern before, gorgeous.
    I like how you echoed the shapes of the blocks in the background with the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you incorporated all those feathers into the design! It's just gorgeous!! LOVE al those feathers!! I love how you used the curved rulers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! Your quilting really makes it come alive! Where can I get that pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you quilted this quilt. All the feathers are just beautiful. I'm in awe of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really made that quilt sing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! You have amazed me again! Your quilting was PERFECT for that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! love how you quilted this quilt. All the feathers are just beautiful..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilting and quilt, Desley...my curve crosshatch rulers are my absolute favorites to use...in many ways, not just for what they are designed for...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was going to say 'gorgeous' but it seems that word has been taken! So I'll say stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful pattern. And your quilting, as always, is great. You are one I go to to get ideas and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quiltiong Desley = Maybe I have fixed Blogger - hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maravilloso todos sus trabajos, me siento admiradora suya y seguidora, pues realmente me encanto todo su blogger: bendiciones para ti.

    ReplyDelete