Monday 4 July 2011

Appliqué Inspired by Tattoos


This unusual and beautiful quilt was made by Marg for her daughter’s 40th birthday.  Her daughter likes tattoos, and gave Marg a book of tattoos to use as inspiration for the appliqué in this quilt.

I really like the uniqueness of this quilt, and how it has been personalised for her daughter.

The quilting was kept fairly simple with the appliqué borders being ditch stitched, a background fill around the appliqué, and a freehand allover on the red.  As the background area around the appliqué was large I decided to break it with a diamond shaped frame in three of them.




 
Marg appliquéd one of the birds flying in a different direction to represent her daughter’s free spirit.


7 comments:

  1. Gosh this quilt is beautiful. I love your quilting on this. You always know what will look good in each area. I hope I learn that one day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog so much, getting to see all the wonderful quilts that move through your studio, as well as the creative, lovely quilting themes you work up! The diamond inner frames are ingenious, and I really like the smaller and larger scrolling filler. Very nice, unique quilt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how she turned that one bird block to represent her daughter personality. Your swirly quilting fits with the 'free-spirited' theme too! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Desley, what a great idea....I know someone who would love a tattoo quilt but I think she would prefer trailing ivy and eagles wings

    Best Wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you have quilted this Desley...its a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic!! Your quilting complimented the quilt so well! I really like how how your framed the motifs with a diamond shape and then did a background fill. Wow, it really made the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt with lovely quilting! Great job, both of you :)

    ReplyDelete