Saturday 3 August 2013

Circular Embroidery and Unpicking



This sweet quilt is another of Janet Sansom’s creations.


I had trouble deciding how to quilt around the embroidery, and this is what I eventually decided upon.


This was rejected as I didn’t like the way it looked.


And this was rejected as I felt it was too busy.


My third attempt (on the left) I liked so the quilting was decided, but now I had a bit of unpicking to do. 


Unpicking always leaves little holes as you can see.


I made a mistake on the border which I also had to unpick.


I closed up the holes with a damp toothbrush that I keep exclusively for this purpose.  I dip the toothbrush in the water and very lightly go over the holes, which makes them close up.  If I was working on a fabric that I had any concerns might run I would use a dry toothbrush.















9 comments:

  1. I love what you came up with. One very pretty quilt. The toothbrush idea is a good tip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! So delicate and sweet looking.
    Yes, thanks for the toothbrush hint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty quilt and your third design is the best. Thanks for sharing the tip about the wet toothbrush. I have been spraying the holes with water and don't like how wet the quilt gets so I'll give this a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet quilt...and your third try is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I like it! "When I grow up..." I'm going to quilt as beautifully as you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super terrific tip!! And I absolutely agree with your final choice!! Beautifully done!! Hugs.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo!! Thanks for sharing the magic trick of the toothbrush. The quilt looks gorgeous - very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! You picked your way through to the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoied the time brousing through all your work You are extremely busy and your work is eccellent. I love it .
    Congratulation on everything you do
    Angela

    ReplyDelete